Well, this is my first ever blog… along with my first ever blog post. I must admit that I’m slightly terrified to write a blog, but I want a way that I can communicate what I am feeling and experiencing on this teacher of the year journey…. so here it goes!
My name is Katlin Thorsell and I am the 2018 West Virginia of the Year – an honor I was humbled to accept in September. I have been an agriculture educator and FFA advisor for five years at Washington High School in Charles Town, WV. For those who may have never heard of where this is (or think I’m talking about our state capitol – Charleston), we are located in the eastern panhandle of our state and are about an hour and a half from Washington, D.C.
I absolutely love teaching and the joy and excitement students get when they are passionate about something or achieve success are indescribable. I am extremely anxious and scared, yet excited and truly humbled to represent the great teachers in the state of West Virginia and be an advocate for teachers and our students all over this great nation!
So before my first ever blog post comes to an end, here are five (maybe interesting) facts about me:
- Ice cream is my arch nemesis – I could eat it everyday, most often multiple times a day and my go to (right now) is a hot fudge sundae from Dairy Queen.
- Cows and dogs are my favorite animals. Cows are very abundant in my life and my family has two dogs: a black lab named Abbey and a dachshund cross named Cooper.
- Eric Church is my absolute favorite musician – play anything by him when you are around me and I will immediately start belting out every word.
- I love to travel, but never have enough time (or money) to do it as often as I would like. On my bucket list of places to visit: Jackson Hole, WY, Ireland, Great Britain, Maine and Iceland.
- I am a huge fan of The Walking Dead (and Fear of the Walking Dead). Every Sunday, I go to my friend Cait’s house and we turn off all of the lights, crank up the surround sound and nobody dares to talk until a commercial break. (It’s also quite comical watching us run to the bathroom too.)
So this completes my first ever blog post on my very first ever blog. I look forward to sharing my story with you and enjoy the ride 🙂